Solidarity with Antifascist Resistance in Ukraine (SARU) and Stop the War Coalition will hold a protest outside the US Embassy in London (24 Grosvenor Square, W1A 2LQ) this Sunday, 22 February from 12 – 1.30pm against US and NATO arming of the Kiev regime. (Facebook event)
Despite the Minsk 2 agreement and fragile ceasefire:
- The US and NATO continue beating the drums of war by proposing $3.5 billion of lethal arms to the Kiev regime, a regime waging a criminal war against the civilian population of the Donbass.
- NATO plans involve the establishment of six command centres, which will facilitate the maintenance of 5,000 troops, all aimed toward threatening Russia and seeking to guard the strategic interests of the EU and North American imperialist powers.
- The US has Pentagon advisers on the ground in Ukraine and is sending 600 paratroopers to train the Ukrainian National Guard.
- Despite US State Department and Kiev propaganda, no credible evidence of a ‘Russian invasion’ nor ‘Russia troops’ in the Donbass has ever been shown to support this.
NOTES TO EDITORS
- CND’s General Secretary, Kate Hudson has highlighted NATO’s stance, pointing out the reality that if “Russia opened up a military facility in Mexico, it would be quite rightly decried as an aggressive act. Yet this is precisely the equivalent of what NATO is doing.”
- NATO Secretary General, Jens Stoltenberg, announced this week that NATO “will provide practical support for Ukraine, with modernising and reforming the defence army and of course we are also adapting our own defence posture to the fact that we see that the security environment in Europe is changing because of the actions of Russia in Ukraine.”
- US Vice President Joe Biden, whose son Hunter took a position on the board of Ukrainian gas company Burisma Holdings within weeks of the coup, warned “If Russia continues to violate the Minsk agreements… the costs to Russia will rise.”
- Senator John McCain, a leading neo-con hawk, new US Secretary of Defence Ashton Carter, along with Senator John Kerry are all calling for the US to provide lethal arms to the Kiev regime.
- The Ukrainian ambassador to Germany, Andriy Melnyk, acknowledges the fact that far right radical units are an indispensable part of Ukrainian military forces. Arms to Kiev will end up in the hands of neo-Nazi battalions led by National Socialist, Dmytry Yarosh.
- UK Defence Secretary, Michael Fallon, claims that Mr Putin is as great a threat to Europe as the Islamic State: ‘We’ve got to be ready for both. They are both very direct threats to Europe.’
- Solidarity with the Antifascist Resistance in Ukraine was formed on 2 June 2014 with the aims of opposing the resurgence of far right forces in Ukraine today, exposing the involvement of present day far rightists in the new Ukrainian government, and challenging the UK and western government’s policy of supporting the new Ukrainian regime. It is supported by numerous antifascist and labour movement organisations, including the Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT).
- Solidarity with the Antifascist Resistance in Ukraine website can be accessed at https://ukraineantifascistsolidarity.wordpress.com/